The 2nd Annual Voces Nuevas: A Cine Sony Short Film Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
ENTRY INTO THE CONTEST REQUIRES AN INTERNET CONNECTION.
- Eligibility and Sponsor: The 2nd Annual Voces Nuevas: A Cine Sony Short Film Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. The Contest is sponsored by CPE US Networks II Inc. (“Sponsor”), whose address is 10202 West Washington Boulevard, Culver City, California 90232. Employees of Sponsor, Sponsor’s advertising and promotion agencies, the National Association of Latino Independent Producers (“NALIP”), 0988166 B.C. LTD dba Film Freeway (“Film Freeway”), and any other entities participating in the design, promotion, marketing, administration or fulfillment of the Contest, as well as each of their parent corporations, subsidiaries and affiliated companies (collectively, “Contest Entities”), and their immediate families (defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and members of their households (whether or not related), are ineligible to participate in the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void outside the U.S., in Puerto Rico, and wherever else prohibited by law.
- Agreement to Official Rules: By participating in the Contest, entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these official rules (the “Official Rules”) and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Any entrant may be disqualified at Sponsor’s sole discretion if he/she fails to comply with any terms of these Official Rules. Whether an entrant receives a Prize (as defined below) is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. In the event of a conflict between the Contest Page, Film Freeway’s website or correspondence, and these Official Rules, the Official Rules shall govern.
- Timing: The Contest begins on January 13, 2020 at 12:01am ET and ends on March 8, 2020 at 11:59pm ET (the “Contest Period”). Entries must be received during the Contest Period to be eligible to win a Prize (as defined below).
- How to Enter: In order to enter, each participant must create a work of video content in length between 2 minutes and 20 minutes long (“Content”). Visit the contest page at: https://filmfreeway.com/CineSonyVocesNuevas (the “Contest Page”) for more information on how to enter.
Entrant must have an account with Film Freeway to submit their Content. Log in to your Film Freeway account, click on “My Projects” to “Add a Project”. In the “Edit Project” tab, fill out the Project Information and Submitter Information forms. In the “Project File” tab, (i) upload your Content and (ii) click on “Add Director Biography” to complete your Director’s Statement in the space provided.
On the Contest Page, click “Submit Now”. Select your Content, complete all required fields, click on “Add to Cart & Checkout” and press “Complete Order”.
Once Content is submitted, it may not be substituted or modified.
The Content must have been completed on or after January 1, 2017. The Content may not have been exhibited on broadcast TV, cable or licensed to a streaming platform (user generator content platforms are okay).
Content Format: Unless otherwise permitted by Sponsor, your Content must be submitted in the following format:
Codec: ProRes 422 HQ
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Frame rate: 23.98
Audio: 48 KHz 24 bit audio stereo
File types: AV1, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP and 3G2
For finalists, a 422 HQ high resolution version will be requested by Sponsor
Subtitles: For Content in the Spanish language, the submission must have English subtitles. For Content submitted in the English language, the submission must have Spanish subtitles. For finalists, Sponsor may ask for scripts in Spanish and/or English.
Ownership: The Contest entrant must be the sole creator of the Content, co-creator of the Content or a legal representative of a company which is the owner of the Content. If the entrant is a co-creator, the entrant must have permission from the other creator(s) of the Content to enter this Contest and to abide by these Official Rules. Additional documentation may be requested from co-creators or company owners per Section 9 below.
Limit two (2) entries per person. Only one person may submit each piece of Content. Any attempt by a person to use multiple accounts or identities to gain more entries than permitted by these Official Rules shall result in disqualification at the discretion of Sponsor. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email account. Sponsor is under no obligation to correspond about entries, nor is Sponsor required to acknowledge its receipt of entries. Proof of submission of entry does not constitute proof of receipt of entry. Potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. In the event a dispute regarding the identity of the person who actually submitted an entry cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction or if multiple people enter the same Content, the affected entry(ies) will be deemed ineligible. Normal internet access and usage charges imposed by your online service will apply. If you participate from your mobile phone, such activity will be subject to the charges pursuant to your wireless service provider’s rate plan. You further understand that if you are a potential winner, the Sponsor may contact you via mobile phone, which will be subject to the charges pursuant to your wireless service provider’s rate plan. Please consult your wireless service provider for more information. Entrants are solely responsible for any related equipment, application, and internet access charges, if any.
First Prize: A First Prize winner (the “First Prize Winner”) will be awarded $10,000, a trip to Los Angeles, California from June 24-28, 2020 to attend the 2020 NALIP Media Summit and to meet with Sony Pictures Entertainment executives, a NALIP Scholarship, and an opportunity for his/her Content to be featured on the Cine Sony channel. The trip package includes 1 coach class plane ticket, 5 nights’ accommodation in one hotel room determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and $600 spending money. The NALIP Scholarship will include: (a) one (1) year Media Maker Basic Membership; (b) access meetings/mentorship that occur throughout the year; and (c) a complimentary pass to NALIP tentpole events, such as the “NALIP Media Summit” (basic pass; access to keynotes and gala are not included), Latino Media Fest, and, if applicable, the “Diverse Women in Media Initiative”. The Media Maker Basic Membership includes: discounted member rates for the “Latino Lens” workshop and waived fees for the “Latino Media Market” application. The First Prize has a combined approximate retail value of $15,600.
Second Prize: A Second Prize winner (the “Second Prize Winner”) will be awarded $5,000, a complimentary pass to the 2020 NALIP Media Summit, and an opportunity for his/her Content to be featured on the Cine Sony channel.
Third Prize: A Third Prize winner (the “Third Prize Winner”; each of the First Prize Winner, Second Prize Winner and Third Prize Winner are referred to as a “Winner” and, collectively, the “Winners”) will be awarded $2,500, a complimentary pass to the 2020 NALIP Media Summit, and an opportunity for his/her Content to be featured on the Cine Sony channel.
Contest Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made unless Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines otherwise. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize for one of equal or greater value should it become unavailable for any reason. If Sponsor substitutes ground transportation for roundtrip air travel, the difference in value will not be awarded to the winner. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with Prize receipt and/or use. Please note that approximate retail values listed here are reasonable estimates and actual value may change.
- Winner Determination:
The Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges using a 100 point scorecard as follows:
Director’s Statement* 10
Production Value 10
*The Director’s Statement shall be approximately 400 words and shall include the following:
The genesis of the project (where the idea came from).
Why is the project important?
Why you’re the only one who can tell this story (what do you bring to the table that is unique to this project?).
What are your cinematic aspirations and influences?
What are the visual and technical approaches you took that make the film unique?
What is your hope for the audience’s response?
Has the film been screened at any film festivals?
- Finalist Notification, Winner Notification and General Prize Restrictions:
The participants whose Content receive the 10 highest overall scores will be deemed a potential finalist (“Finalist”) of this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than 10 Finalists if, in its sole discretion, it determines that there is not a sufficient quantity or quality of submissions, if a potential Finalist cannot be contacted or is disqualified for any reason, or any other reason as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Sometime on or around May 1, 2020, the potential Finalists will be notified via email. The potential Finalists will be required to follow the instructions provided in the notification and to take all steps required to accept the Finalist opportunity within 48 hours after the time the notification message was sent or forfeit the Finalist opportunity.
Sometime on or around May 19, 2020, the potential winners will be notified via email, to verify his/her eligibility and ability to accept the prize, and to obtain his/her complete contact information. Any such message will instruct the potential winner to reply as specified within 48 hours after the time that the notification message was sent. Potential winners must reply as instructed to identify him/herself, confirm his/her eligibility and ability to accept the prize, and provide his/her complete contact information within such 48 hour period, or he/she will be disqualified. In Sponsor’s sole discretion, a potential winner may only be notified one time as set forth above for attempted prize notification. Any winner or potential winner may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion if: (a) he/she fails to reply or to provide any required information or properly completed documents within the required time period; (b) he/she fails to comply with any of the terms of these Official Rules; or (c) if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable. In the event of disqualification of any winner, at Sponsor’s sole discretion the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner selected from among the remaining applicable eligible entries via the means of winner determination described herein, pending verification of eligibility. If any prize remains unclaimed after three (3) potential winners have been notified for that prize, the prize (and/or the next runner-up prize) may remain unawarded, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. No responsibility is assumed by Sponsor for any incorrect or missing email address or phone number associated with an entry, or any change of email address or phone number of entrant after entry submission. Any prize details and restrictions not specified will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. All other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of a prize not specified herein as being awarded are the sole responsibility of the applicable winner. No prize transfer. Unless otherwise specified herein, no prize substitution except at Sponsor’s sole discretion due to unavailability, in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded. Sponsor will not replace any lost, damaged or stolen prizes. All taxes (including without limitation Federal, state and local taxes) in connection with a prize, and the reporting consequence thereof, are the sole responsibility of the applicable winner. Sponsor makes no representations regarding the tax liability associated with any prize, and winner is advised to seek counsel regarding any tax liabilities associated with their prize. Unless otherwise indicated herein, all prizes are awarded as-is and without warranty of any kind, implied or express. Any difference between the approximate value and actual value of a prize will not be awarded.
The winners will be publicly announced at the NALIP Media Summit in Los Angeles, California on or around June 25, 2020.
- Travel Conditions: The First Prize Winner must depart from a major airport, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The First Prize Winner shall be responsible, at their sole cost and expense, for all travel arrangements between their point of origin and the departing airport of the applicable city. All other expenses relating to acceptance of the First Prize not explicitly stated herein, including but not limited to insurance, taxes, meals, beverages, alcoholic beverages and gratuities are the responsibility of First Prize Winner. Certain travel restrictions may apply. Travel must be completed on dates specified by the Sponsor or the First Prize will be forfeited. The First Prize Winner must book travel through the agent designated by Sponsor. Specifics of the First Prize travel package are subject to the Sponsor’s sole discretion. If in the judgment of Sponsor, air travel and lodging is not required due to First Prize Winner's proximity to Los Angeles, CA, ground transportation will be substituted for roundtrip air travel and lodging at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Complete terms and conditions of the First Prize trip will be furnished with prize notification. Travel must be made in accordance with the Sponsor’s directions and notifications. The First Prize Winner is responsible for obtaining all required travel documents. If for any reason the First Prize Winner cannot take the trip to be in Los Angeles on the date specified by the Sponsor, the Sponsor shall, in its sole discretion, have no further obligation to the First Prize Winner.
- Further Action: By participating in the Contest and if selected as a Finalist, such participant agrees to sign (and to require any co-creator of the Content to sign) any further documentation requested by Sponsor consistent with these Official Rules. Awarding of any Prize shall be conditioned upon the potential winner signing a license agreement, a tax acceptance form and a release form provided by Sponsor, which shall release the Contest Entities of all liability, to the extent permitted by law. Failure to complete and sign any documents requested by Sponsor may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate potential winner.
- Submission Rights Grant: By participating in the Contest and if selected as a Winner, except where prohibited by applicable mandatory law, such participant hereby grants to Sponsor, its affiliates, successors, licensees, assignees and Sponsor’s authorized designees, a fully-paid, royalty-free, transferable, fully sublicenseable, worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, adapt, translate, reproduce, edit, modify, create derivative works from, combine with other works, post, transmit, perform, display, publish, communicate, communicate to the public, broadcast, reformat, make available, disseminate, distribute, and/or otherwise aurally and/or visually exploit (any one or more of the foregoing referred to as “Use”) the entirety of the rights in and to the Contest submission (and all renewals and extensions of copyright, and the right to secure copyright registrations thereto in perpetuity), which includes both your Content and the other registration information that you provide, and the participant’s name, likeness, image, photograph, voice, performance, rendering, signature, silhouette, sounds and/or biographical data contained therein and/or in the registration information accompanying the participant’s contest entry, or with respect to any photography, video, audio or other recording of the participant or any person included in the Content or in connection with any participation in the Contest or related events (collectively, the “Submission”), in any media, manner, technology or content delivery mechanism now known or hereinafter devised, for any purpose, including, without limitation, in connection with the Contest, its administration, judging, advertising and/or publicity, on any Sponsor or NALIP property or otherwise, without the necessity of further consent or additional consideration.
Submissions may be displayed on the Contest Page or the websites of Sponsor, NALIP or Film Freeway.
Winner accepts and acknowledges that Sponsor shall not be obligated to use the Submission, or any part thereof, and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, shall have the right to refrain from using the Submission. Sponsor shall not incur any liability whatsoever to the extent Sponsor chooses to refrain from any exploitation of its rights hereunder.
- Content Representations, Prohibitions & Third Party Materials: Entrant hereby represents and warrants that (a) it is the creator, co-creator or authorized representative of a company which is the creator of the Content and possesses all rights necessary to grant the rights granted in Section 10, (b) the Content is wholly original and is not in the public domain, (c) Sponsor will not be responsible for any residuals or third party payments necessitated by its exploitation of the Content, (d) the Content and the exploitation by Sponsor as contemplated hereunder will not infringe upon, violate or conflict with any rights whatsoever of any person or entity, including without limitation infringement upon the trade name, trademark, copyright, literary or dramatic right or right of privacy of any claimant, (e) entrant has not made, and will not make, any grant or assignment that will conflict with or impair the complete enjoyment by Sponsor of the rights granted and (f) there is no action, claim or dispute pending which could adversely affect the rights granted. Entrants shall not include within any Content material that is unlawful, pornographic, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, discriminatory, harassing, bullying, vulgar, indecent, profane, hateful, racially, culturally or ethnically offensive, or that encourages criminal conduct, or that gives rise, or potentially gives rise, to civil or criminal liability, or that violates any applicable laws, rules, or regulations. Each entrant shall have obtained authorization for the inclusion of any third-party materials (including, without limitation, company names, logos, music, name, voice, image, likeness or other branding elements of any third party) that are included within entrant’s Content.
- Publicity: Except where prohibited by applicable mandatory law, participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s consent for Sponsor, its affiliates, successors, licensees, assignees and Sponsor’s authorized designees to Use entrant’s Contest Submission for promotional purposes in any media, manner, technology or content delivery mechanism now known or hereinafter devised, without the necessity of further consent or additional consideration.
- Release: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities, together with their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, together with the respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, and agents of each (aforementioned individuals and organizations collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use/misuse of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors or any errors made in the advertisement of the Contest; (d) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; (e) changes to platform policies and procedures that may interfere with the operation of the Contest; (f) claims based on publicity rights, defamation and/or invasion of privacy and the collection, use and/or sharing by Sponsor of personally identifiable information of the entrants; or (g) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize.
- Indemnification: Each participant shall fully indemnify and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities from any and all claims, damages, losses, demands, causes of action, proceedings, expenses, and/or liabilities resulting or arising from or connected with, or claimed to have arisen, resulted from or be connected with: (i) the participant’s Submission, participation, attempt to participate, or inability to participate, in the Contest; (ii) submission and/or Use by the Indemnified Parties of any Submission (and/or any parts thereof); (iii) the participant’s failure to comply with any one or more of the Official Rules or any applicable laws, rules or regulations; (iv) the unauthorized use by the participant of, as applicable, the name, likeness, voice, work product, brand, trademark, logo, patent, trade secret, or copyrighted material of any person or entity; (v) the breach or alleged breach of any warranty, representation (including, without limitation any eligibility-related representation) or covenant made by the participant in connection with the Contest; (vi) acceptance and/or use of any prize, if any; (vii) any right or benefit granted by the participant to Sony in connection with the Contest; and/or (viii) the participant’s negligence, willful misconduct, violation of any applicable laws, rules or regulations or these Official Rules, or his or her violation of any third party’s intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other right.
- Limitations of Liability: The Contest Entities are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone or cable lines, network hardware or software, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof, or other technological malfunctions; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any Prize. If for any reason an entrant's Submission is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, if possible. No more than the stated number of Prizes will be awarded. Entrants further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrants waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. Without limiting the foregoing, the Contest, all prizes, and all materials provided on or through any Contest Page are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
- ARBITRATION/CHOICE OF LAW: BY ENTERING INTO THE CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT ANY CONTROVERSY OR CLAIM ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE CONTEST (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ITS PRIZING) OR RELATING TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, THEIR ENFORCEMENT, ARBITRABILITY OR INTERPRETATION, SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO JAMS ("JAMS") FOR FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION UNDER ITS COMPREHENSIVE ARBITRATION RULES AND PROCEDURES IF THE MATTER IN DISPUTE IS OVER US$250,000 OR UNDER ITS STREAMLINED ARBITRATION RULES AND PROCEDURES IF THE MATTER IN DISPUTE IS US$250,000 OR LESS, TO BE HELD IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, BEFORE A SINGLE ARBITRATOR. THE ARBITRATOR SHALL BE SELECTED BY MUTUAL AGREEMENT OF THE PARTIES OR, IF THE PARTIES CANNOT AGREE, THEN BY SELECTING AN ARBITRATOR FROM A LIST OF ARBITRATORS SUPPLIED BY JAMS. IF THE PARTIES STILL CANNOT AGREE ON AN ARBITRATOR, THE ARBITRATOR SHALL BE APPOINTED BY JAMS. THE ARBITRATION SHALL BE A CONFIDENTIAL PROCEEDING, CLOSED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. THE ARBITRATOR SHALL ISSUE A WRITTEN OPINION STATING THE ESSENTIAL FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS UPON WHICH THE ARBITRATOR'S AWARD IS BASED. THE PARTIES WILL SHARE EQUALLY IN PAYMENT OF THE ARBITRATOR'S FEES AND ARBITRATION EXPENSES AND ANY OTHER COSTS UNIQUE TO THE ARBITRATION HEARING (RECOGNIZING THAT EACH SIDE BEARS ITS OWN DEPOSITION, WITNESS, EXPERT AND ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND OTHER EXPENSES TO THE SAME EXTENT AS IF THE MATTER WERE BEING HEARD IN COURT). NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, THE ARBITRATOR MAY REQUIRE THAT SUCH FEES BE BORNE IN SUCH OTHER MANNER AS THE ARBITRATOR DETERMINES IS REQUIRED IN ORDER FOR THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE TO BE ENFORCEABLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. Each entrant acknowledges that the internal substantive laws (as distinguished from the choice of law rules) of the State of California and the United States of America applicable to contracts made and performed entirely in California shall govern the validity and interpretation of these Official Rules and all other causes of action (whether sounding in contract or in tort) arising out of or relating to these Official Rules.
- NO INJUNCTIVE RELIEF: EACH ENTRANT UNDERSTANDS AND AGREES THAT HE/SHE SHALL HAVE NO RIGHT TO ENJOIN OR RESTRAIN THE DEVELOPMENT, PRODUCTION, ADVERTISING, PROMOTION, DISTRIBUTION OR EXPLOITATION OF THE SPONSOR’S WEBSITE, APPLICATION, OR ANY OTHER PROJECT OF SPONSOR OR ANY OF ITS PARENTS, SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFILIATES.
- OFFICIAL RULES AND ONLINE PAGE LISTING WINNERS: For a copy of the Official Rules or for a list of the names of the Winners, please visit the Contest Page. The Winners list shall be available after the 2020 NALIP Media Summit.
- SPONSOR: CPE US Networks II Inc., 10202 West Washington Boulevard, Culver City, California 90232.
© 2020 CPE US Networks II Inc. All Rights Reserved.